I talked to several staff members at “Elliott Bay” only to find that they were not clear on what their business goals were. So here is my best guess:
To begin the research process, I scripted a handful of questions to get a feel for the types of users that shop at Elliott Bay, what the current competition is, and what they like about Elliott Bay.
You are partial to Elliott Bay Book Company because you enjoy supporting local shops. You are looking for a book on dragons. Open the website's home page to start your search. Walk me through how you would navigate the website from finding a book to completing the checkout process.
Below is a sample a user's experience. Robert is a 61 y/o male with a basic competency in tech.
Daniella is the grandmother of a 15 y/o. Daniella buys online with moderate frequency because she knows it’s the best way to get specialist products and she appreciates the convenience of home delivery.
Tech empathy: Medium, Prefers Desktop
Let’s try to solve this problem through some more user research:
I gave users 5 tasks. The first task was to find a genre that would take them to Dragons. The second task was to refine their search, the third to choose a book, the fourth to add it to cart, and finally, the fifth task was to check out.
Using information from the card sort, I started with “Browse and Buy” as the drop down where users could find book categories. What I found was that this was not as intuitive as I had hoped for. Users struggled with finding genres and also had some difficulty refining their search. So I tested “Books” next based on user Feedback.
I realised that my problem was not just the lack of an intuitive path to find book categories...
In addition to refined categorization, not only does a “Browse By Category” feature need to exist, it needs to be clearly labeled in order to effectively communicate its purpose to the user.
So I iterated on the naming convention one final time with the feedback that users wanted a very clearly labeled path to search genres. The new link name I used was “Explore Genres”.
For future iterations I would: